FAQ for comp.mail.pine
This page is intended to be an FAQ for people wanting to post questions
to the Pine newsgroup
comp.mail.pine. Please read this page to see if your query has been
answered previously, before posting to the newsgroup.
Reading comp.mail.pine can be educational, but can also be
tiresome. The number of FAQs that keep popping up is appalling. I'm
beginning to understand the need for the
post a periodic informational post on the
1st and 15th of every month that answers several
FAQs and points people to further information. I hope this will reduce the
number of FAQs being asked.
Other Resources for Pine
Frequently asked questions, and answers
Occasionally, you will see me write stuff like (M)ain (S)etup
Collection(L)ist . That means that you should type in M S L, or
in other words, go to the Main screen, choose Setup, and then Collection
Lists. That convention is used throughout this FAQ list.
Finally, this is NOT a general Pine FAQ. This is collection of answers
to questions that are seen frequently in comp.mail.pine.
- Can I read mail from a POP3 server
- I have multiple email addresses.
How do I read them all using Pine?
- How do I stop Pine from downloading
messages to a local mbox in my home directory?
- How do I stop Pine from moving
messages from my INBOX after I read them?
- My login id on my local machine is
different from the one on my mail server. How do I read my
- Can I sort my mail differently
from the way I sort news?
- What is this DON'T DELETE
THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA message all about
How do I get rid of it?
- How do I delete an attachment
from a message?
- When I post to newsgroups, my
messages show up as "To: some.newsgroup" instead of
"From: My Name". How do I fix this?
- I changed my From:
header. Now my sent-mail index shows the From:
name instead of the recipient's. How do I fix it?
- I used to use procmail to strip
.signatures from my messages. Can Pine do that for
- How do I make Pine show me the
X-Priority: or any other header for a message?
- How do I read rot13 encrypted
- When I send out email, my From
address is firstname.lastname@example.org instead of
email@example.com. How do I correct it?
- When I typed in a local
username in the To: field, I got an error message that it
wasn't in my addressbook. What's wrong?
- I want to run a mailing list.
Can I do it using Pine?
- How do I send email to many people
without everyone knowing who else it's going to?
- Can I send email from the
command-line using Pine without using the composer?
- How do I set my
- How do I change my
- When I try to
reply to messages, I get prompted, Reply to all
recipients? and it includes my own address. How do I make it
exclude my addresses from the reply?
- How do I add a tag-line or
.signature to my emails?
- I have a collection of .sig
files in a directory/file. Can Pine use them to generate random
- Can I use a different set of
signatures for certain email than others?
- Can I send messages with
attachments and save just the message, and not the attachment in
my sent-mail folder?
- I don't like the default editor
that Pine provides. Can I use a different one like vi or
- I have a dial-up connection to
the Internet. Usually, I compose all my messages offline. Can Pine
automatically send all my postponed messages when I connect to the
- Can Pine authenticate me to my
SMTP server before sending mail?
- My roles work fine when replying.
How do I use one when composing a new message?
- My role doesn't work when I am Cc'd a
message. Do I have to setup a separate role for the To:
and Cc: patterns?
- I use a role to change my
From: header. Now my sent-mail doesn't show my
messages correctly and says that the messages are From:
my role address instead of To: the recipients. What's
- Can I change my role after I've
- I used to use procmail to filter
my messages into various folders. Can Pine do that?
- Does Pine support
- Can I setup a rule to be used when
something is NOT matched?
- How can I make Pine show me the
score for a message?
- I setup my PC-Pine colors in
(M)ain (S)etup (K)olor. But after the main screen, when I get to
my message index, the colors are all gone. What's wrong?
- Can I use time-based filters to,
say, move all messages older than a month to an archive
- How do I get new-mail
notification from Pine?
- I filter messages into various
folders. Can Pine tell me which folders have new mail in them?
- Can I search through all
messages in a folder for a text string?
- Can I search through all folders
for messages that contain a text string?
- How do I convert my
addressbook into a remote addressbook?
- Every month, Pine asks me if I want
to rename my old sent-mail and delete the old ones. How
do I stop/change this behavior?
- How do I cancel a message I
posted to a newsgroup?
- Can I have my deleted messages go
to a trash folder instead of being deleted?
- Can I use display-filters on
the message index?
- I have a text file full of email
addresses. How do I make a Pine distribution list out of it?
- How do I change the
content-type when composing new mail?
- Can I change the naming
convention for the Fcc folder?
- How can I get self-signed
certificates to work with Pine?