100 Several facts
- I used to be a late night person. Then I switched to being a
morning person. Now I'm back to late nights.
- I'm full of contradictions. I listen to NPR, and I watch
Jerry Springer, neither regularly.
- I grew up without a television in the house. I read books for
entertainment. I still do.
- I work with computers because I enjoy it. Before I worked with
them, I played with them.
- I like UNIX systems, manual cameras, and stick-shifts, all for
the same reason.
- I have gloves in the glove-compartment of my car, along with an
emergency blanket. There is a 3-gallon gas can and jumper-cables in
- My favorite kind of music is South Indian classical (Carnatic)
music. Coming in closely afterwards are Jazz and symphony music.
Once again, I like them all for the same reason. Besides those, I
listen to a lot of rap.
- My spelling tends to be American; my grammar British. I take
joy in correctness in language, even in small places. I was very
happy when I saw my local grocery chain's express checkout lanes.
They had signs that said
10 items or fewer. Most places
- I know how to correctly use semi-colons. I know what split
infinitives are, but don't care if they are used. If you need your
grammar checked, I could probably do it.
- I'm vegetarian, initially by upbringing, and subsequently by
choice. I don't think I am morally superior to non-vegetarians.
- I hate ethical vegetarians.
- I find many accents alluring. Actually, any accent but that of
the Midwest and California.
- I spent the middle half of my life so far, in a different
- As much as I love the South, and have been acquiring a taste
for Southern culture, my roots are unmistakably Yankee — I
like my cornbread yellow, thick, and slightly sweet. I miss big,
- I spend far more time on USENET than is good for me. That
culture of excruciating precision probably tells on my writing.
- I am much funnier in person than I appear to be in my writing.
I just write unentertainingly.
- I connect myriad facts together in very surprising ways.
- Before my second birthday, I had been described in a foreign
magazine as a lion among men, and the very image of beauty.
- Before my eighteenth birthday, I had genetically modified an
otherwise harmless bacterial culture, into something capable of
giving you massive diarrhea, and resistant to four different kinds
- I have a talent for finding the oddest sites on the web. I
send out these weird links periodically to people. (I now maintain
the collection in a weblog.)
- I pull shopping carts behind me, rather than pushing them
ahead. I find it easier to control them that way.
- I visited almost every mainland US state by road, by the age
- I have taken the nerdity test more than once. I even tried to
raise my score. It has, despite my best efforts, come down.
- My pirate
name is Bloody Tom Kidd, my
name is Rophis Caramon, my
name is Slim Gopi Licious, and my
Bitch name is Squealing Piglet.
- There has been an occasion when I chose to spend time with a
computer instead of people on a Saturday night.
- My Master's thesis has a picture from a Playboy centerfold in
- I have never attended a live concert of any popular music. I
have never bought any popular music. All the popular music I own is
- I have taken part in the relentless teasing of practically
every cousin I have. The fact that they exist is reason enough to
tease them. At one time, for one of them, the goal was to make her
cry at least once every day.
- Despite the above, I love kids. I have enormous patience with
children, and can talk to them forever.
- I never lose my temper. I don't shout. The worst that happens
when I'm angry or tense is I gnash my teeth more. It's actually a
family trait (gnashing teeth). My grandmother's molars have
practically smooth crowns now from all the night-time
- I don't usually drink coffee, although I love those
Frappuccinos® from Starbucks. I can't drink coffee to stay
awake — it gives me the jitters. I use exercise
- The only time I babble incoherently is when I'm almost asleep.
Just before I reach that stage, I become extremely dismissive when
spoken to, perhaps to discourage people from talking to me.
- I like being babied, especially when I'm sick.
- I don't like button flies. I prefer good old YKK.
- I watch cooking shows. It's odd because I'm vegetarian and the
shows hardly feature anything for me.
- I don't miss people.
- Even though I'm fairly conservative in my political leanings,
I prefer liberal media to conservative ones. The conservatives
just creep me out.
- I'm very particular about certain things. Oh what the hell, I'm
anal-retentive. I arrange my CDs a certain way. I need light
switches to line up if there are two switches controlling one
light. I drive according to every rule written.
- I'm a rather domestic person. I know how to load the
dishwasher efficiently. I make a mean pasta sauce, and I don't
mind stirring it for an hour. I prefer cast-iron cookware.
- I can't cook by following a recipe exactly. I read it to get
an idea of how the dish is to be prepared, and then fudge. The
only exception is when I bake. I don't have enough experience
baking to wing it.
- I seem to come across as a very well-read person. In reality,
I haven't read many classic books, haven't watched very many such
movies, and certainly can't identify art.
- I am rather well-informed. Every day, I read a minimum of 10
newspapers; they are from six different countries, and in three
- I'm not a visual person. I am really interested in photography
and even took a class at the University, but realized that I liked
the process more than the æsthetics of the result.
- I have read bunches romance novels. I don't remember much of
them, except that they were all "Mills and Boone"
novels, and featured someone that looked like Fabio on the
- I irregularly write in my online diary. I had it online for
ages, but didn't link to it, for lack of courage. It's finally
there for all to see.
- I have kept the empty tin from every box of Altoids I have
bought since I started work.
- I used to be able to eat an entire large pizza, all by myself.
It wasn't just one time either - I did it several times, washing
it down with a couple of large glasses of milk too. All this isn't
too surprising until you consider that at the time, I weighed less
than Takeru Kobayashi, who
hotdog eating contest.
- When I was a kid, I arranged all the Disney movies we had into
running-length order. I still remember the length of each
- I have watched several TV shows with my brother. Over the
phone. Long distance.
- I get hot flashes in winter. You might see me hanging around
in the snow wearing just a T-shirt.
- I will often play devil's advocate, if only to see how
well-reasoned your arguments are.
- There are people I work with, who have never seen me without a
- There are people I have been working with for over two years,
who I have never met. Some of these people work in different
cities, some of them work in my building.
- I have led a remarkably uneventful life, for which I'm